DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Todller Mayhem

When my sister and I were younger, my Mom used to drill into us the positives of breast feeding (she was a huge proponent-not in a crazy LaLeche League kind of way, but definitely a big believer in it). One of her major points was that it helped to naturally space out your children. I tried breastfeeding with all of them, and it didn't work out. My babies were never able to latch on correctly and were lazy eaters, and ended up loosing to much weight, and I had to stop all three times (they ended up having a hard time with bottles as well).

I wish to God that it had worked out for me. There is a definite reason God devised this system to help moms space their kids. I can personally testify to the fact that it is a very bad idea to have two kids 10 months apart, and it is called YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TWO TODDLERS AT ONCE IN YOUR HOUSE. My respect for parents of multiples is immense. I could not survive it. I know this because I am barely surviving the chaos at our house named Charlie and Sammy.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if one was a boy and the other a girl. Or even two girls. But the combination of two boys that close in age, one also being VERY strong willed has proved to be a disaster this summer. Charlie by himself does okay, although very prone to temper tantrums and trying all available measures to get his way. Sammy by himself is the most peaceful, calm, loving child in the world. Put them in the same room and chaos reigns. They incite each other to push the limits and rules in ways that they don't even think of alone. The tempers and rivalries for toys, attention, everything means constant fighting and drag out fights. I can't get anything done or have a moment of peace because I am constantly handing out discipline. We try to separate them as much as possible, which helps, but puts an undue burden on Evan. As the oldest when I was younger, I remember lots of days of having to help Mom ride herd on her crew too, but I don't want Evan to have to constantly be helping either.

Jeff and I have to sit down regularly and lay out strategies for discipline and handling daily routines because it doesn't take the dynamic duo long to outsmart their parents, especially their mother. I think that they know what pushes my buttons, and they can tag team it to do what will bug me most.

Raising boys is no picnic. Especially when there are a group of them. I love them dearly, but I. AM. TIRED.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Swidget 1.0