DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Monday, July 21, 2008

Evan Goes to Camp

Evan has his first day of day camp today. We dropped him off this morning at the bus stop, watched him climb on the big yellow school bus, and waved while he drove away. This is only the second time in his life that he has gone to an activity where I or my mom haven't been on the premises with him. I have so far avoided the experience of leaving him places to have his own day, live his own life, be somewhere without me. I know, it's a good thing for a kid who's a 4th grader. Good for both of us. But boy, do I feel like someone has cut off my right arm. Just getting through the morning made me realize exactly how much that guy helps out around here.

I also felt like I was dropping him off for his first day of kindergarten (Evan's actual first day of kindergarten wasn't so bad for me, as I taught in the room next door, got to obsessively peak in the window at him, and saw him several times throughout the day). I know most moms have this experience much earlier, and I am lucky to have had the time/closeness that I've had, but it also made me think that maybe we both need more times like this. In October he is going to be the big 1-0, double digits. I guess it's getting to be time for him to start venturing out from the nest in small ways. Sniff, sniff.

I hope he's having a wonderful day, is making new friends, and isn't missing me one bit!

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Swidget 1.0