DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Friday, May 02, 2008

Slow Down a Little

When I picked Charlie up from daycare today, it took him exactly 10.9 seconds to dissolve into one of his awe inspiring slam his head on the ground temper tantrums, all because I had the audacity to put his coat on. While he was screaming at the decibel level of a jet liner and trying to smash his brains out through his ears, the preschool teacher, who is also the daycare director, gave me the news that she wants to put Charlie in the 3 year old preschool group right away when we start school in August. He will only be 2 1/2 at the time! I looked from her to the child that was imploding on the floor next to her, and the first words that came to my mind accidently popped out of my mouth "Him? Are you KIDDING me?"

SVdP's daycare is unique in the sense that sometimes the children are fudged into different age groups because of the size of the center (35 kids) and the staffing needs. But 6 months early? I immediately felt a pit in the center of my stomach. Charlie is the most stubborn child I have ever met (and as a teacher, let me tell you that is saying something! I know a LOT of VERY stubborn kids.) He is really going through a rough patch right now behavior wise. I am working so hard with him at home to squelch the tantrums, the aggression, and the not listening using every trick I have ever learned with kids. And it's still really hard. I just think moving him into a preschool group would be the most frustrating thing for him. He would be with kids who are 4 and 5 year olds, and would be held to their behavior standards, rules, and routines. A frustrated Charlie is an unbelievably bad thing. He looses it, wigs out, turns into a crazy man. I think it would really set back all of the progress we have made already and will hopefully continue to make over the summer. He also had the most amazing relationship with his toddler teacher. She is SOOO good for him, and can get him to do anything. So, I spoke up and said "NO! I don't want that to happen in any way shape or form." I explained my reasons, which I think she understood and commiserated with. It's just such a sticky situation because this woman is also a family friend, my mother's best friend, and Evan's swimming teacher. I want to stand up for my kid, but I also don't want to create a mess. I am really hoping I got my message across in a firm but kind way. I so hope that she listens to me. I don't know what we'll do if she doesn't.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Swidget 1.0