DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Monday, June 30, 2008

Where Did She Go?

I downloaded some music onto my iPod tonight, some songs that were some of my favorites during my later years in high school. I was laying in bed just now, listening to them and trying to get to sleep when I was struck with an image of myself at 17-driving in the car (my 1986 Ford Tempo), windows down, stereo blaring, long hair blowing in the wind, flying through a warm summer night. I miss that girl so much, it moved me to tears. I miss how she felt so comfortable in her own skin, how her body gave her a feeling of power, how she felt on top of the world with her future laid out at her feet. I miss her idealism and strong convictions, her courage to take on the world, and her certainty that she would make a difference. Where in the world is she? How did that girl morph into middle aged me? I don't think I would find her, even if I dug down really deep inside, which I think is the real reason it made me cry. Because I know she is lost, and I can't ever get her back.

I would pay a lot of money to go back in time to that moment, if only for half an hour or so, and just feel those things again. Be that way again.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Swidget 1.0