DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tweet!

A momentous occasion in the life of a 4th grader happened to Evan yesterday. It's one I remember well myself. In music class Evan was presented with the most coveted of 4th grade possessions (at our school at least)-a recorder.

When I look back at receiving this instrument myself, I remember the excitement, the fun of learning to read music, playing together as a group, and believing I was a wonderful musician. Which I am sure is the point of the whole experience. It was obviously a good one for me, as it lead to other musical endeavors like marching band and choir.

Now that I am seeing this whole thing from a mother's perspective though? I just want to cover my ears. God bless my mother for doing this 4 times. Is there any other musical device that squeaks quite so badly? Whose sound so closely resembles a dying tortured bird when played incorrectly?

After 2 hours of excited practicing last night Evan was finally playing a recognizable Hot Cross Buns. I love that he is excited. I love he is learning the basics of music. I just wish I could wear ear muffs while he does so. Even Charlie, after he heard the beautiful "music" wafting from Evan's room, asked "Why Evan crying so loud in there?"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too funny!!! In ear plugs so he can't see them? :)

Christy M. said...

Ahhh, the recorder! We played Hot Cross Buns too. It's such a rite of passage, isn't it?

You are so, so funny!!! Good luck with all his practicing!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Swidget 1.0