DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Friday, October 21, 2005

Bird Flu and Other Medical Woes

I took Evan in today for his 7 year check up. In most areas, everything was great, but the doctor was concerned about a jump that Evan has had in his growth this year. For all of Evan's life, his height and weight have hovered around the 50-54 percentile. In fact, when he was a baby, he had a terrible time gaining weight. His pediatrician said that for the most part, children should remain through their elementary years in about the same range. Today, we found that Evan had jumped above the 95 percentile in both his height and weight. (Which I already knew from the huge jump in clothes sizes we made over the summer. He called this an abnormal growth pattern. Next week, we are going to go in to have all kinds of tests done, like pituitary, hormone, bloods levels, insulin levels, x-rays, etc. The doctor said that this jump in growth could be indicative of several different things, like a pituitary disorder, a genetic condition, growth disorder, childhood diabetes, or early onset puberty (ugh!). He said not to worry too much, (yeah right) until we get the test results. Please keep him in your prayers!

Evan also got his flu shot for the season, which made me think about something else I have been worrying about lately. Is anyone else worried about this Bird Flu thing? I guess maybe part of it is being pregnant (I remember worrying about nuclear war when I pregnant with Evan-I guess we want the world to be perfect when we bring a new person into the world). I keep hearing about this pandemic on the news, and I know that if it comes here, it would probably affect myself and my babies in a bad way. Evan and I both have asthma, and are particularly susceptible to the flu. I am praying Charlie doesn't inherit the asthma, but that doesn't seem to happen very often in our family. I know worrying doesn't help, or change the situation at all, but it just seems to be in the back of my mind lately.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Swidget 1.0