DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up!

On Sunday morning, I was in the middle of a cough when I felt a strain in my back. About half an hour later, I was lifting Charlie the 20 lb. 4 month old in his car seat (which probably equals a total of about 30 lbs.) and I heard a POP! in my back. I could barely straighten up after this happened. I have been in intense back pain ever since. I have somehow made it through the last three days of work, because I am out of sick days, and have no desire to pay the substitute $125 out of my own pocket. This included yesterday, when we went on a field trip to Gifford Farm, and walked for what the tour guides told us was a 2 mile tour. I have no idea how I made it through that. I was determined not to miss it, since it is my favorite 1st grade field trip, and I wanted to have that experience with Evan. I finally called the doctor today since it just isn't getting any better, and she said it is because Charlie (who at the time was the gargantuan 10 pound newborn) really stretched out my tummy muscles, and they never had a chance to go back before this one decided to stretch them out some more. She suggested (and I giggle everytime I think of it) wearing a pregnancy support belt, which looks like one of those things that forklift operators wear. I should be in the height of fashion!! But, the pain is severe enough that I am willing to do it. The thought of being able to stand up straight sounds like heaven to me. Not that I am trying to be a martyr (well, not completely anyway) but the sad thing about all of this is that your children never completely realize what you do for them. At least not the boys. Evan and Charlie will never realize the physical effort I put into bringing them into the world. I have a COMPLETE new appreciation for my mother after going through all of this. Especially since three of her children were over 10 pounds. UGH! On a positive note, another teacher at my school who just had a baby the first week in September is also pregnant again, and she has the same due date that I do. Hers will not be as close together as mine of course, but I have someone to go through it with at school, and at least I will not be the sole focus of attention.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Swidget 1.0