DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Mommy and Evan Week

Jeff left the day after Christmas for Windsor, Colorado for a week to visit his mom, sister, and grandparents who all live out there. So, Evan and I are having what we have been calling Mommy and Evan week. Yesterday was so nice! We just snuggled on the couch for a couple of hours, and watched some movies that Santa brought (one of them being The Muppet Movie which I haven't seen in years! I loved seeing all of the characters from my childhood again). Then we tried out some of his Christmas toys, including an Icee maker. He made me an incredibly messy Coca Cola Icee, which ended up being really good. Today we are just relaxing again, which has been so nice after the hectic holidays and the last couple of weeks of school. I realized how much Evan and I need this time alone together before the baby comes. I also realized how much I miss it being just me and Evan against the world. Not that I don't love Jeff too, but I just can't explain how much I miss our "old life" sometimes. It's been a bittersweet couple of days. I've also been thinking about how things will change once Charlie gets here. I know they will be good changes, and that most moms about to give birth to their second child feel this way, but I just can't imagine loving two people the way I love Evan, or there being enough of me or love to go around. I hope that Evan and I are both up to the challenge! I think it might be a little easier if he were younger. It has been just us for so long though, and we are so much closer than we would have been if we had had a traditional family for the first 7 years of his life. So anyway, it has been so therapeutic for us to be on our own this week.


Christmas was nice for us this year, if apart again like Thanksgiving. We celebrated Christmas Eve with my mom's family at my parent's house and went to Midnight Mass with them, which I absolutely love. Then we celebrated our first Christmas morning together. Evan was so exhausted from being excited that I had to wake him up to open presents! Next, Jeff left for Harlan and Evan and I went to my parents for brunch and to open gifts. I wasn't able to go to Harlan again because of my travel restrictions. That evening all of the Miceks came to my house (which is tiny) for Christmas dinner. Whenever the Miceks get together it means there is at least 40-45 people at your house. It was a lot of fun, but I think Jeff was a little overwhelmed at the amount of people in our home. He always says he likes Micek gatherings best though because everyone is always loud and boisterous, and talk about anything and everything. For example, one of my uncles regailed us with stories about his recent diagnoses by his doctor with (and I am not kidding) Itchy Butt Syndrome. It included a full discussion on hemrhoids. Jeff laughed through the whole thing, amazed I am sure that my family would talk about this in the first place. That's why I love them though! They are completely crazy. Anyway, nice but busy two days. Next year will be different I am sure as we negotiate the typical new family/newlywed mess of where to spend what on the holidays. We need to work out a plan for upcoming events, but at least we have a year to figure it out.

1 comment:

Adam said...

40-45 people! In your house at once! Wow!

If every person I know in my extended family came, not including Christi's side there would be ... (counting) ... 13 people. That's it! Wait, I forgot G&G Koch. 15 people.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Swidget 1.0